Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK pushes on with broadband plans

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, James Kilty wrote:

On 05/03/11 08:36, Gordon Henderson wrote:

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/BT-expected-named-163-130m-broadband-partner/article-2704382-detail/article.html
How does this square with BT saying Leedstown will be connected on 28
March and Demon can upgrade me immediately? If it is not a done deal how can they tell me FTTC will be done - or are we talking about the last 100 yards of wire? (Or 2.5 miles if it is from the exchange.

BT (Wholesale + OpenReach) will be running fibre (and power) to the cabinet 100 yards from you, and fitting a mini DSLAM inside the cabinet (or more likely a new cabinet) You'll keep the same copper.

Once BTW have confirmed the install and tested it, then they'll open it up to other ISPs (including BT retail) for use. At that point, Demon can upgrade you - a service which you'll pay for, and a man (from BT OpenReach) will come in install a new faceplate and modem for you.

The RFS (Ready For Service) date for your exchange is the 11th of March -
but I'd go to the cabinet and see if they've started work on it yet - they
are running late in some areas... However, I've no idea to work out if
they're upgrading all cabinet, or just some. The best indication will be
to see if they've actually put in a new cabinet yet, or done some ground
work perparations. (dig a hole, concrete base, etc.)

100 yds from the cabinet - you'll potentially get well over 30Mb/sec sync. rate at that distance. Lucky sod! (however it's then up to the service you get over BT Wholesale and your chosen ISP as to the actual throughput you get)

Gordon