Re: [LUG] domains

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:40:46 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A lot is really going to depend on how your hosting company handles the
domains and what they will and won't let you do.

If you're doing it yourself, running your own nameservers and web/email
servers then anyting is possible.

Almost every hosting company is differrent, so I suspect it's really hard
for anyone to give you a real idea about what you can do. Maybe get
in-touch with the hosting company and ask them?

And if you want ultimate control, then get a VPS from somewhere with root
accecss and fiddle with the config files...

Gordon
Thanks for that, I think!! My hosting company seems very reasonable and
helpful. I am allowed up to 5 parked domains and 5 add ons. I was able
to set up the parked domain easily via cPanel.

I have set up an email account on the parked domain. I note for example
that if I type in the new domain name into my browser bar I get taken
to the original domain name, and that name appears in the browser bar.
My emails however show the new domain name.

I also am wondering if I can FTP to the parked domain. Since it is
redirected to the original domain I suppose that won't work. Would I
have better facilities using an add on domain?

I don't know - because I don't know how cPanel works and I don't know how your hosting company does it's thing behind cPanel.

There are dozens of ways to do stuff like this... E.g. in my world with the control systems I wrote for myself and my clients, they have a notion of a "customer" and each customer has a set of domains which all point to one file area for web access and one email area for email.

If they have a customer with 2 domains and want 2 differenet web sites, then that's considered 2 customer accounts as far as I'm concerned. (Although email can all go into one account - confused? :-)

So you need to understand how your host does stuff - and what cPanel allows you to do.

Gordon