Re: [LUG] Oh crud, apt just sabotaged me!

On 27/02/11 18:37, Rhia Knowles wrote:

> Debian Testing... might be the issue.

Almost certainly.

The point of testing is they integrate changes to APIs, so the
dependencies between packages have to change and so they may
occasionally be bad.

Doesn't happen often, but if it will cause you undue pain, just stick
with Squeeze.

One thing that saved me a couple of times when I tracked sid (unstable)
on my home desktop was snapshot.debian.org which allows you to recover a
Debian release as it was on a specific date (sometimes to a more precise
period). Of limited value for stable which typically only changes every
few months but useful with testing and unstable.

It is not so much occasionally it'll uninstall packages you want (you
can easily reinstall those or refuse the upgrade), but sometimes the
current state of testing or unstable is such you can't reinstall them
afterwards because there is no combination of packages that satisfies
all dependencies, or one of the packages disagrees with your hardware in
some fundamental way (in one case my X driver didn't like my graphics
card any more).