Re: [LUG] OT: Request for recommended OpenSource support

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:04:05 +0000
Henry Bremridge wrote:

> I am after recommendations for business' who can switch an office
> server from Win 2003 to Linux
>
> Current Details:
> -   Server running Win 2003
> -   10 users (each running XP, Outlook, MS Office). No need to upgrade
>     users who have to run MS on their laptops / desktops
> -   Office type photocopier, with scanning functionality to pdf (no
> idea of brandname)
>
> Chance:
>     - of the server moving to Linux is slim
>     - of the owner changing support provider is also slim
> but I would like to provide the owner with contact details of someone
> who can without users noticing anything:
> -   switch the server from Win to Linux
> -   create the samba shares, set up office emails etc etc
> -   ensure the network printer works
> -   provide ongoing support, as required.
>
> For less than ~ Â2000
>
> Please email me offlist if anyone can recommend local business' who
> can provide this sort of service and guestimates of how much they
> would charge. If anyone on the list wants to provide the service,
> please advise off list
>
> Many thanks

If the current system is set up as a Windows 2003 Server running as a
domain controller (with Exchange?), and all the client machines are
currently authenticating to said domain controller, and their data is
stored centrally (ie My Documents = somewhere on the server, the user's
desktop = somewhere on the server, etc), then the chances of a seamless
change over where the user doesn't even notice is slim... especially if
the job is to be done ASAP.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like a particularly big job - if you
have the chance to implement the new server and have it running
side-by-side with the old server whilst you migrate the users,
potentially one by one.

Grant.