Re: [LUG] OT: Fibre to the cabinet

Dear Andrew and all

Thanks a lot.

http://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html tells me

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 500Kbps and upstream line speed of 100Kbps.

It is a hundred yards away.

Gordon - I guesstimated ADSL2 - if it's 24Mbps hopefully it might get me something stable that is rather more than the 2Mbps I am getting now. Demon say 20Mbps is the max but that's presumably down the wire. Does this mean BT has a monopoly for the fibre to the cabinet and I have to register with them? Or entanet? Or someone else? I thought BT provided the equipment and the ISP paid a "rent".

James

--
James Kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk