Re: [LUG] 169.254.10.5

On 09/02/11 13:11, Simon Waters wrote:
On 09/02/11 13:00, tom wrote:
But why does it tear down the static IP configuration (which was working
fine) and then try DHCP and then give up?
Because you didn't configure the static configuration using Network
Manager? Presumably you dived in and fiddled with files that did things
the old fashioned way.

I use to routinely uninstall Network Manager, but have left it on
laptops recently (certainly other people's laptops) as it isn't THAT bad
any more. Sounds like Ubuntu are making it harder to disable (sigh), but
it use to be a complete pile of pants.

Network Manager is no longer available in Ubu desktop! I installed gnome-network-manager and used that to reconfigure - those were the settings that it threw away. I have to go into the bios to turn off the onboard eth0 or that spends all day demanding DHCP as every attempt to disable it from within Ubu seems to be overridden so next time you startup it fills the log files with failed attempts. And the logs have wrapped so I cant even find out what the hell it was doing...
Tom te tom te tom