Re: [LUG] 169.254.10.5

On 09/02/11 12:09, tom wrote:
I got a PC from David Bell (Thanks again!) and totally wiped it and installed Ubuntu Desktop using the ethernet card - I can never get the wireless  to work at install time.
I've now got something that has cropped up on the last three or so installs - a phantom IP that I have never entered.
I got the wireless working using a static IP and after a couple of reboots it all goes funny - the static IP is dropped and a DHCP taken from my router. And then that is dropped and 169.254.10.5 appears from nowhere and sits happily but useless on wlan0. I reconfigure and after a couple of reboots 169.. comes back.
I am getting really pissed off with ubuntu as they've done something 'clever' but not seemingly, given the tools to sort it when it goes wrong, or document it.
/etc/network/interfaces seems to be ignored completely and
/etc/network/if-up.d has a varying set of files in it ...
Any clues anyone
Tom te tom te tom

This probably doesn't help but....

"If a DHCP server is not available, Ubuntu will attempt to set up a network automatically using the Zeroconf (or Zero Configuration Networking). In other words, if a bunch of computers plug into a hub or router on an ad hoc basis, without being configured and without a DHCP server operating, they will be able to network with each other. To make this work, each computer randomly assigns itself a unique IP address that starts with 169.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0."

Maybe an issue with DHCP?

Gibbs