Re: [LUG] 169.254.10.5

tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I got a PC from David Bell (Thanks again!) and totally wiped it and  installed Ubuntu Desktop using the ethernet card - I can never get the  wireless  to work at install time.
I've now got something that has cropped up on the last three or so  installs - a phantom IP that I have never entered.
I got the wireless working using a static IP and after a couple of  reboots it all goes funny - the static IP is dropped and a DHCP taken  from my router. And then that is dropped and 169.254.10.5 appears from  nowhere and sits happily but useless on wlan0. I reconfigure and after a  couple of reboots 169.. comes back.
I am getting really pissed off with ubuntu as they've done something
'clever' but not seemingly, given the tools to sort it when it goes  wrong, or document it.
/etc/network/interfaces seems to be ignored completely and
/etc/network/if-up.d has a varying set of files in it ...
Any clues anyone
Tom te tom te tom

Sounds like Network Manager might be trying to be smart and assign an IP address if it's not picking one up. I've seen these sort of IP addresses on Windows but not Ubuntu.

I'd suggest maybe trying to create a manual wireless network configuration in network manager and assigning it a static IP or maybe disable network manager (you'd have to google this, I can't remember how to do it off the top of my head and I believe Network Manager is a dependency of the ubuntu-desktop meta package.

Rob
--
Sent from my ZX Spectrum.