Re: [LUG] Playing flash

On 26/01/11 09:28, george wrote:
On Tuesday 25 January 2011 11:02:21 am Rhia Knowles wrote:
George, if Firefox is just vanishing... do you see an messages in the
kernel log reporting something along the lines of (it is in plain
english but the wording may not be exact) "I am out of memory, killing
something"

Last time I saw behaviour like that, this was what was causing it:
Linux has a very aggressive memory management strategy, and the best
cure it to make/enlarge a swap partition so it doesnt need to 'kill
something'
Thanks for that Rhia.  I've been a bit busy moving 2 machines over to Mint
Debian and dealing with bits that go missing during a move but it has been
very successful.  I also also gave the power supply a good clean and I
haven't had any problems since although I haven't been playing much flash
either.  Also, I already have a 2 Gb swap drive.

Thanks to everyone, I'll see what the next week brings.

George (Back to the joys of NFS)

Is this a 64 bit machine? I seem to remember somewhere that the 64 bit flash player was even more of a dogs dinner than the 32 bit one so try running the 32 bit one
Tom te tom te tom