Re: [LUG] Playing flash

On Tuesday 25 January 2011 11:02:21 am Rhia Knowles wrote:
> George, if Firefox is just vanishing... do you see an messages in the
> kernel log reporting something along the lines of (it is in plain
> english but the wording may not be exact) "I am out of memory, killing
> something"
>
> Last time I saw behaviour like that, this was what was causing it:
> Linux has a very aggressive memory management strategy, and the best
> cure it to make/enlarge a swap partition so it doesnt need to 'kill
> something'

Thanks for that Rhia.  I've been a bit busy moving 2 machines over to Mint
Debian and dealing with bits that go missing during a move but it has been
very successful.  I also also gave the power supply a good clean and I
haven't had any problems since although I haven't been playing much flash
either.  Also, I already have a 2 Gb swap drive.

Thanks to everyone, I'll see what the next week brings.

George (Back to the joys of NFS)