Re: [LUG] Playing flash

On Thursday 20 January 2011 6:50:05 pm Simon Waters wrote:
> On 20/01/11 17:29, george wrote:
> > I have a computer that is prone to crashing.  It has a twin core 64 bit
> > AMD processor, nothing posh, running Mint Debian.
> >
> > Using Gnome System monitor to watch the processor and running Iplayer on
> > the BBC web site both cores run at near 100% and then Firefox crashes,
> > repeatedly.  Running the same thing in Epiphany the cores are still at
> > 100% but it doesn't crash.
>
> The computer crashes or just the web browser? What happens when it crashes?
>
> Which memory tests did you run, after discovering DELL hack their memory
> test not to exercise the bits of RAM their firmware doesn't reserve
> properly (Doh). I don't trust anything but the memtest family,
>
> Firefox is pretty stable in my experience, better with 4beta.
>
> I'd go to 4beta if you want to use Firefox, since it handles Flash
> crashing better.
>
> Also is flash right up to date? As Adobe have been improving thing over
> the last couple of months on some platforms at least.
>

> If the computer is crashing......
>
> I'd - force fsck on all disks.
>
> Then look at removing hardware till I remove the bit that makes it crash.
>
> Also check seating of all components. And daft things like ensure all
> cables and sockets are seated properly, and maybe check the power socket
> is good.

Thanks Simon.  The computer doesn't crash, just apps.  It's most obvious on
Firefox running flash when firefox just closes, no warning, no error message.
I've also had similar on Kmail and Kontact.  I thought I'd cured it when I
hoovered the fluff out of the processor heatsink but no such luck.  The
memory I tested with memtest at bootup.  I've been over the connections and
reseating boards, inc memory.  I'm beginning to think power supply.

I'll give cpuburn a try as suggested by Gordon and Tom, thanks guys.  I
haven't come across this before and it should be interesting anyway.

BTW the new lamb curry in Wetherspoons was a bit gristley.

George