Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On Sat, 2011-01-22 at 08:54 +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> further research has suggested to me that what I really need is to set
> up SFTP or something similar. I use my website to store a few important
> (to me) files as a sort of backup. So I use FTP (via FireFTP on Firefox)
> to copy those files over when there is any change to them.
>
> I think that it would be safer to use some sort of encryption when I
> copy those files and SFTP came up.
>
> Have I got that right?

If you are actually storing files on a public facing webserver for
backup I'm not sure I would worry too much about going to all the
trouble of worrying about encryption during transit.

The system you are using to FTP the files would seem perfectly adequate
for your uses Neil.

Just my thought on it.

--
John