Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On 22/01/11 09:11, Gordon Henderson wrote:
I'm not Phil, but ...

Something to think about:

Do you want to encrypt the data in-transit, so that anyone snooping the
wires will have a hard time decoding the data, or do you want to store
them encrypted at the far-end so anyone hacking the server won't be able
to see them?
If the latter, then you'll encrypt them before you send, so it doesn't
really matter then how you send them.

Yes, I have considered that too. But I would like to get my head around SSH etc as it may come in useful later.

I'd also look into using rsync (which needs ssh or rsh) if you want to
easilly copy a few (or lots) of files that change infrequently. (or
frequently) It's easier to just type the rsync command (or put it in a
script) and let it work out which files have changed than to remember to
upload the files you've changed recently...

Gordon

I have had a look at rsync which also seems complicated. Anyway it seems that I need to set up SSH first, so I must work out how to do that.

Thanks

Neil