Re: [LUG] account software

On 11/01/11 13:14, Philip Hudson wrote:
> On 11 Jan, 2011, at 11:08 am, Philip Whateley wrote:
>
>> Payroll and VAT are problems for open source software because of getting
>> the software approved by HMRC - they will only approve software that is
>> compiled prior to distribution.

Software does not need to be approved by HMRC for Payroll or VAT
accounting.

You could do on a spreadsheet or no approved  software e.g pen and ink
ina school jotter is fully acceptable to HMRC.

HMRC approves software for interaction with its programs. (Uploading
P60s etc, downloading tax code notices)

If you use HMRC CD ROM (or from April 6th their new download) on Windows
It will upload your necessary payroll data at years end and print out
P60s etc.
Linux version of HMRC I have not used as I keep books in a MS Windows
program ( QuickBooks Pro) which I inherited with job of treasurer of a
church.

For 'ease' I also run my own company's accounts in QuickBooks Pro.

I tried many open source  systems but most  fail at VAT  unless you set
it up for a new company ab initio  i.e transfering existing records is a
pain.

There is a UK GnuCash chart of accounts available, but system is happier
in USA style  sales tax regime
If you do not handle VAT than it should meet all your needs.

You need to set up your payroll entry correctly so it allocates tax,
NICs employee, NICs employer and deductions into correct places.

This is the same in QuickBooks  or SAGE if you do not buy their 'payroll
extra'  so GnuCash is no different for payroll from 'proprietary paid
systems, without payroll extra (the payroll tie on a yearly  fee is how
the companies make most of their money, not on initial sale).
 One set up, memorise entry and use again and again.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald