Re: [LUG] account software

I'm using Gnucash to manage finances of an Early Years Education Charity
with a turnover of ~Â100k. [In fact I run the admin for the whole
setting using open source on Ubuntu, despite the trustees using Windows
and the managing supervisor (educational side) using OS-X.]

Basic accounts plus invoicing and bills (accounts receivable and
payable) are fine in Gnucash. I am able to present accounts to Devon
County Council, and get them into the correct form for SORP (Charities
Commission).

It doesn't do Ordering, or Payroll, or VAT (which we are not registered
for anyway). Also budgeting functionality is somewhat weak, and we run
that outside Gnucash (in OOo).

Payroll and VAT are problems for open source software because of getting
the software approved by HMRC - they will only approve software that is
compiled prior to distribution.

We manage payroll by getting the calculations done in HMRC's own package
and then entering into Gnucash.

Apart from the limitations above, Gnucash is fine for accruals
accounting. We manage reserves, restricted funds etc too.

Phil