Re: [LUG] External hard drives

On 20/12/10 10:52, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:43:47 +0000
tom wrote:

On 20/12/10 09:34, Grant Sewell wrote:
On 20 Dec 2010 08:56, tom<tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 19/12/10 18:50, bjorn grohmann wrote:
Talking of which - why are there no apps for reading ext3/4 etc
on windows????
Ext2 FSD is an open source Linux ext2/ext3 file system driver for
Windows systems. Being open source and actively developed is a
good thing. Making it more desirable than ext2 IFS

http://www.ext2fsd.com

The Ext2fsd installer would need to be on a USB stick that was
partitioned to a file system readable by windows say Fat32

Regards Bjorn

Thanks for those - been looking for them for ages.
It still doesn't get around the window tax thou - even a teeny
windows partition would presumably cost whatever the windows tax is.

The Windows tax is only applicable if you have Windows. Merely
having a small FAT32 partition with the installation files for
ext2fsd would incur no charges.

Grant
You seem to be unaware that companies are paying MS for the
'privilege' of selling their items with Fat... partitions on them.
Every preformatted USB stick you buy  - see if you can find one that
isn't - has an MS tax on it.
Tom Tom have to pay so their linux satnav can talk to windows.
So how is it that I can create a FAT32 filesystem without hassle under
most Linux systems?  In order to play MP3s or watch DVDs I have to jump
through hoops, but I seem to be able to create Microsoft-owned
filesystems without having to jump through any hoops or pay anybody any
money.

Me = confused

Grant.

You can create the fat32 that because the software to do that is free. If you were to sell devices with that on then MS would hunt you down. And then make you sign a non disclosure agreement so the true cost of their addition is not made public.
Tom te tom te tom