Re: [LUG] IPv6

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Shaun Orchard wrote:

On 24 November 2010 15:40, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cheers (from 2001:4d48:ad51:8900::1 - DNS tomorow ;-),

How did you manage to get them (Entanet) to enable IPv6 for you?

I asked them.

While I'm not with Entanet anymore, when I was with them I was in
their IPv6 "trial".

I seem to recall that it took them months to reply to my request
e-mail, and other people I know emailed them several times without
response. Did you apply ages ago or are you just lucky?

Well - they actually suspended their IPv6 trials some time back due to a technical issue, however they've decided to go with it even though the technical issue still remains.

From a recent message to resellers:

  18th November 2010 IPv6 CLARIFICATION
  We would like to remind all partners that Entanet's network is enabled to
  support IPv6. However, our DSL, colocation and leased line services are
  set to use IPv4 as default to ensure that customers' setup is correct
  prior to adopting IPv6, for example in terms of having IPv6 supporting
  hardware and firewalls in place. If you or your customers would like to
  upgrade to IPv6 you can do so easily and for no extra charge by emailing
  IPv6@xxxxxxxxx

So send an email to them and request your /64... I'd make the subject really clear if you are - I know that they get a lot of spam to that address and it's manually weeded out...

As for IPv6 adoption, it would be nice if some serious players in the
Internet world would show some leadership and make the transition. I
guess it's a little difficult, since (IIRC) some OSes/stacks/software
don't always respond well when there are both A and AAAA records.
Visiting the same few IPv6 enabled sites is not fun.

http://ipv6.google.com/ ...

Yes, there isn't much adoption yet, but it'll happen. It will need to happen. It's true that there are still large lumps of IPv4 left and it will be squeezed out over the next few years, but why wait - Linux will work in dual-stack mode transparently, and it will prefer IPv6.

I hope to get IPv6 going in my hosting co-lo early next year too - then each server/website I host will simply get an IPv6 address as well as an IPv4 one. I suspect this is what most people will do until we really do run out of IPv4.

Gordon