Re: [LUG] Converting iTunes files...

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010, Steven Côté wrote:

I've been given a few file of what looks like apple iTunes format to
convert for a customers music on hold - however I can't make any sense of
them... file identifies them as:

moh1.m4a: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
moh2.m4a: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
moh3.m4a: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
moh4.m4a: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
moh5.m4a: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
moh6.m4a: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC

When I try to play them (with the play command) all I get is garbage - it
does vaguely sound like something, but it's running 10x too fast

At a guess, I'd say that file has it right and that the files are DRM
encrypted which is why you can't get any player other than iTunes to play
them. Do you know if they're files created by the user or if they were
purchsed from the iTunes store? If they were purchased, that's almost
definitely what's wrong.

Some will have been purchased, some probably converted locally. The last one actually had a file extension of m4p while the other has m4a. 'file' gave the same information though, although play refuses to even try to play the file - error is:

[libfaad @ 0xb71aa710]faac: frame decoding failed: Bitstream value not allowed by specification

a few milion times...

I think I need to go back to the client and see if he's got them in some other format.

Cheers,

Gordon