Re: [LUG] csv file editor

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 02:36:52PM +0000, Gibbs wrote:
> I can't see any options in Gnumeric but LibreOffice Spreadsheet has
> separator options if you're working with more "complex". Both of
> them are GUI spreadsheet editors but might not have the option
> you're looking for.
>
> SQLite database browser can handle CSV files. That might be a bit
> more comprehensive and similar to CSVed.
>
> Gibbs
>
> On 19/11/10 14:22, Philip Whateley wrote:
> >Anyone know of a good editor for delimited text data files (csv, tab
> >delimited etc.)
> >
> >I need it for directly creating data files for R. I can export from a
> >spreadsheet but that is cumbersome.
> >
> >I am aware that CSVed - which would be exactly what I am looking for -
> >will run under Wine, and I think there is a mode for emacs (although
> >only beta), but I'm looking for something native Linux (unlike CSVed)
> >and easy to learn (unlike emacs)
> >
> >I have looked at google-refine, but that won't create files, although it
> >looks very good for correcting data errors.
> >
> >I am happy with either gui or command line.
> >
> >Many thanks
> >
> >Phil

Do you want to create files or amend files.

Obviously depending on the size of your data set, I have found creating the
overall numbers in the spreadsheet easiest and then export the sheet as
CSV. Then
1) Open in Vim and amend as required (or use sed etc)
2) Read csv file directly into R

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.