Re: [LUG] [Bulk] Re: csv file editor

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 16:30 +0000, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 02:36:52PM +0000, Gibbs wrote:
> > I can't see any options in Gnumeric but LibreOffice Spreadsheet has
> > separator options if you're working with more "complex". Both of
> > them are GUI spreadsheet editors but might not have the option
> > you're looking for.
> >
> > SQLite database browser can handle CSV files. That might be a bit
> > more comprehensive and similar to CSVed.
> >
> > Gibbs
> >
> > On 19/11/10 14:22, Philip Whateley wrote:
> > >Anyone know of a good editor for delimited text data files (csv, tab
> > >delimited etc.)
> > >
> > >I need it for directly creating data files for R. I can export from a
> > >spreadsheet but that is cumbersome.
> > >
> > >I am aware that CSVed - which would be exactly what I am looking for -
> > >will run under Wine, and I think there is a mode for emacs (although
> > >only beta), but I'm looking for something native Linux (unlike CSVed)
> > >and easy to learn (unlike emacs)
> > >
> > >I have looked at google-refine, but that won't create files, although it
> > >looks very good for correcting data errors.
> > >
> > >I am happy with either gui or command line.
> > >
> > >Many thanks
> > >
> > >Phil
> > >

> Do you want to create files or amend files.
>
> Obviously depending on the size of your data set, I have found creating the
> overall numbers in the spreadsheet easiest and then export the sheet as
> CSV. Then
> 1) Open in Vim and amend as required (or use sed etc)
> 2) Read csv file directly into R

At the moment I am creating the file in OOo and saving as csv.

I can use Vim etc to edit the data, but it is easier if the data is
lined up under the headers in columns; especially with large data frames
in terms of number of factors / covariates etc. it's very easy to edit
the wrong field. Importing back into OOo is really painful as there are
too many options to the import. At the moment I am keeping a master copy
of the data as .ods and exporting to csv every time I change the data.

Many thanks for the suggestions though.