Re: [LUG] [Bulk] Re: Software for (personal) project management

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 21:37 +0000, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 08:34:42PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> > On 09/11/10 19:48, Roland Tarver wrote:
> > >Hi Folks
> > >
> > >At the moment I have many uni projects (essays etc) which each have
> > >their various milestones and other critical dates and tasks. I need to
> > >get *very* organised and manage my time well. Can anyone recommend any
> > >floss project management software please?
> > >
> > >I noticed TaskJuggler, but have not installed it. Looks a little over
> > >kill for what I need (since I am a team of 1 - lol).....
> > >
> > >Many thanks
> > >best wishes
> > >roly :-)
> > >

> > Hmmm, only one that comes to mind is GanttProject.  IIRC it's Java
> > based and cross platform (so maybe you could try it and if it's any
> > good suggest it to your colleagues on your course).
> >
> For simple todos:
>     TaskWarrior
>     Vim-outliner

Most "professional" project management software is really about resource
levelling. None of them that I know of allow you to define the project
properly using a network diagram (often called a PERT or CPM chart) but
instead you need to use a Gantt chart (or text in the case of
TaskJuggler). The Gantt chart should really be the output of the
planning process, not the input tool.

If you don't need to do formal project planning (analysis of critical
paths, resource levelling, and tracking completion, spend etc), I would
suggest using Getting Things Gnome (GTG).

GTG lets you use free form tags in such as @Office, @Home, @Computer
etc, and also things like @Project, @Urgent etc. Both the tasks and the
tags can be nested and you can also add start times and due times.

GTG also synchronises with Evolution's task list, and also with Remember
the Milk (although I have found the RTM sync to be a bit buggy)

Phil