Re: [LUG] Combining two drives into one

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 23:01 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

> > You might want to try
> >
> > mdadm -A /dev/md1 --level=linear /dev/sdd /dev/sde

Doesn't the software RAID stuff write some metadata to the end of the
device? You might overwrite something you intended to keep.

How much this matters to you depends on how much you really want the
data back. If you just want to try something simple and aren't too
fussed if you trash the disks then it's worth giving it a go.

However I noticed that the stock nbd-server program has a multiple file
option so I suspect you could make use of that. I notice there is an
nbd-server package in the Ubuntu repositories (I don't recall which
distro you are using)

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.