Re: [LUG] Combining two drives into one

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

Hi folks,

I've got an interesting one for you...

Basically I have an external USB hard drive which takes multiple drives. It has 2 x 500GB SATA drives giving 1TB. Now the controller in the case has got a broken SATA connector so I can currently only connect one drive.

However, I have a feeling there's some important data on there which needs recovering.

So I'm trying to figure out how to get the data off. If I put one drive in a PC it comes up with the partition table and I can mount it. If I put the other drive in a PC it comes up as blank (presumably because it's not got a partition table on it). I think it must use something like concatenation.

My first thought was to dd one drive, then the other and combine the two image files however I don't have a big enough drive. So I wondered if I might be able to cheat and combine the two devices (in this case sdc and sdd) into a new device (say sde) so I can retrieve anything important off the drives?

How much data did you have on the pair?

I'd be surprised if the controller was clever enough to do anything other than dumb
concatenation...

You might want to try

  mdadm -A /dev/md1 --level=linear /dev/sdd /dev/sde

and see what happens... if it doesn't complain, then try:

  fsck -fC -n /dev/md1

and if that doesn't complain, then you're won - maybe.

If the mdadm fails, then you might try --level=stripe however I suspect that's unlikely and
you'll need to know the chunk size too.

If the total data-set was under 500GB you might find it's all on the first disk too, however...

Gordon