Re: [LUG] Combining two drives into one

On 21/10/10 15:26, Paul Hirst wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 12:56 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

My first thought was to dd one drive, then the other and combine the
two image files however I don't have a big enough drive.  So I
wondered if I might be able to cheat and combine the two devices (in
this case sdc and sdd) into a new device (say sde) so I can retrieve
anything important off the drives?

I don't know of anything off the shelf which will do this for you. I
would probably go and write a network block device server to do this
concatenation for you and then mount it up that way.

Although it sounds a bit extreme the NBD protocol is really simple. You
could probably knockup a server program in whatever language is your
poison.

Ahh, probably a bit beyond my skills, I'll keep searching.

Rob