Re: [LUG] Combining two drives into one

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 12:56 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

> My first thought was to dd one drive, then the other and combine the
> two image files however I don't have a big enough drive.  So I
> wondered if I might be able to cheat and combine the two devices (in
> this case sdc and sdd) into a new device (say sde) so I can retrieve
> anything important off the drives?

I don't know of anything off the shelf which will do this for you. I
would probably go and write a network block device server to do this
concatenation for you and then mount it up that way.

Although it sounds a bit extreme the NBD protocol is really simple. You
could probably knockup a server program in whatever language is your
poison.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.