Re: [LUG] New PC

On 21/10/10 11:38, John wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 08:48 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
On 21/10/10 08:31, John wrote:
After a long, long wait I'm finally getting a new PC. From a single core
athlon 2ghz to an intel quad core 4ghz super monster :]

Anyway, how much chance is there of just taking the OS drive (intel ssd)
out of this machine and slapping it into the other and expecting stuff
to work?

If the new machine has the same architecture for this (i.e. you can plug
the drive in) and it allows booting of disk type you have then it
depends largely on the kernel, and how weird the new hardware is.

If you mean the harddisk type/connector then its SSD and SATA, if you
refer to the motherboard then I'm going from a Gigabyte K8N Neo4 to a
Gigabyte p55 thing
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-252-OK this is
the actual machine, for anyone *that* interested ;)

Well, John, I have had a look at it. Apart from the word 'wow' I am speechless!!

Hope it all goes well for you,

best wishes

Neil