Re: [LUG] New PC

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 08:48 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 21/10/10 08:31, John wrote:
> > After a long, long wait I'm finally getting a new PC. From a single core
> > athlon 2ghz to an intel quad core 4ghz super monster :]
> >
> > Anyway, how much chance is there of just taking the OS drive (intel ssd)
> > out of this machine and slapping it into the other and expecting stuff
> > to work?
>
> If the new machine has the same architecture for this (i.e. you can plug
> the drive in) and it allows booting of disk type you have then it
> depends largely on the kernel, and how weird the new hardware is.

If you mean the harddisk type/connector then its SSD and SATA, if you
refer to the motherboard then I'm going from a Gigabyte K8N Neo4 to a
Gigabyte p55 thing
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-252-OK this is
the actual machine, for anyone *that* interested ;)

> In most case generic GNU/Linux distros like Debian, Ubunbtu, SuSE,
> Redhat will "just work" in new hardware assuming the kernel is for the
> correct CPU type, as every time they boot they search for all relevant
> devices and drivers.

Currently kernel is:
Linux subbass-desktop 2.6.32-25-generic-pae #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17
21:57:48 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Is that a problem ?

> Ensure the OS is up to date, especially the kernel version before starting.

I'm upto date except for the one pushed this week, I believe it has a
bug that would cause issues with Cedega so I'm holding off it.

> > I am expecting to remove the current nvidia drivers off this first, and
> > also comment out the swap from the fstab as its on another drive
> > currently, oh and comment out the various other hard drives until I move
> > them over later on (all using UUID's so "should" be painless.
>
> If you have created an xorg.conf sometimes you have to them move the
> file out the way and let X rediscover to get X working. I'm not familiar
> with the nvidia drivers but typically you can have multiple video
> drivers installed with no issues as X checks which it needs when it starts.

I'm going from Nvidia to Nvidia and haven't done anything with my xorg
in recent times, its gotten good at Just Working ;)

The only reason I'm thinking I should remove it because of the modules
or whatever, might cause a prob? Though if its all going over lock stock
and barrel I wonder if it would be fine, I'm not changing to ATI or
anything.

> If you know which is the best driver for the new graphics card, install
> that first is worth doing, as it is always nice when it "just works".

It will be the same driver I'm using I guess, Nvidia 195.xxx I think.

> Probably wise to comment out swap, although if the other partition
> doesn't exist in the new machine, or isn't a swap partition it should
> just fail to mount it.

Ok, I'll comment it just for the fact its no time to do and *may* save a
prob.

> Similarly if other file systems aren't found they should fail fairly
> gracfully, but commenting them out may save a few seconds on boot.

I will comment them out Just In Case :]

> > Anything else that might help make things go smoother ?
>
> Pick a time when you aren't pressed for time - just in case?

Thankfully I have no pressing engagements over the weekend, the machine
should be here Friday (no doubt at 6pm after waiting all day)

--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/