Re: [LUG] Fwd: BT forced to open fibre network

On 07/10/10 22:02, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

On 07/10/10 19:28, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:33:18 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

I'd just be hppy with WBC/21CN in my exchange - which is not likely to
ever happen - and I'd suspect not for most of rural Devon too.

Maybe not. OTOH, I recall that my local exchange was originally
projected to be BB enabled about 18 months *after* it actually
happened, due to lack of. It got brought forward as a result of
reduced costs, even though at the time, there were insufficient
customers waiting for it.

Ah, well, that was just BT deciding to squash any possibility of any
sort of competition - they went ahead and enabled our exchange too
(Buckfastleigh) which was way below the trigger point - positively
killing off any change of the commercial broadband project I was running
here at the time. Actually, they told us that they were going to enable
the exchange the week after out commercial project started, but that's
another story... (Questions were asked and it happened 18 months later)

My suspicions are that they've more or less set in-stone the exchanges
for WBC upgrade and are now concentrating on FTTC.

Devon currently has just 4 exchanges with WBC/12CN connectivity -
Barnstaple, Exeter, Exmouth and Newton Abbot. (Out of 160 exchanges in
total)

I dunno, looks like Paignton and Torquay do according to Samknows,
although it comes under it's own county of Torbay :-P

Ah yes, I didn't think to check Torbay and Plymouth...

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWPAIG
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWTORQ

Of course I could be getting my wires crossed. It is 21CN WBC status
on the Samknows site isn't it?

Yes.

(My local exchange isn't covered and St Marychurch is listed as the
end of March next year).

Lucky you.

I'm on the Shiphay exchange, that hasn't got any date for WBC and it's only got Talktalk LLU, so I guess it'll be a long while before it's upgraded (but we have Virgin in the area so I guess that covers anyone who wants anything faster than up to 8 Meg but without going to Talktalk).

It doesn't get much more rural than where I am and no, no LLU here.

The LLU operators really won't move in unless they think it's
profitable.

I guess if the local rural communities as a whole got together and
approached say Rutland Telecom, Vitesse or Fibrecity (I believe that's
what they're called) then maybe they might have more of a chance,
although going on what you say, I bet BT would suddenly find it
commercially viable.

The issue with doing it yourself (or Rutland, etc). is that you need to
find the one cabinet that serves the most people who want it - so for a
hamlet/small village that's easy - only one cabinet... For me, it's a
cabinet 100m away that serves maybe 100 houses max., so which cabinet do
you pick? Each one would require a leased line and investment in kit
(UPS, router, DSLAM) and the physical cabinet and the cost of installing
it, planning permission, etc. The Virtual LLU that BT's being made to
offer might look attractive then...

Yep, that's true. So I guess cabinets like this will be lower down on the list unless everyone on the cabinet commits to paying for an upgrade (as as you mention, getting people to pay... that's another thing altogether).

Rob