Re: [LUG] Health and Safety

On 07/10/10 19:29, Rob Beard wrote:

> On 07/10/10 10:37, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Not really relevant here, but I'm sure we've all heard of something
>> being stopped due to HES reasons... Well, the HSE have been publishing
>> "myth busters" for some time now... You might find this amusing..
>>
>> http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm
>>
>> One that's particularly relevant at this time of the year:
>>
>> http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/september.htm
>>
>> Enjoy,
>>
>> Gordon
>
> Some interesting ones on there, funny I read the one about PAT testing
> as one of the electricians was coming around to do a yearly PAT test.

The whole idea of a yearly PAT test just does not appeat in the HSE
guidelines. Plenty of things don't need such testing EVER! Others can go
5 (or more years) between such testings. But some need formal inspection
every (and possibly actual testing) every few months.

The latter catagory includes things like vacuum cleaners and floor
buffers. Primarily due to long power leads being frequently coiled
and uncoiled.

N.B. I've heard of a case where a supposed "electrician" brought in to
PAT test put lots of stickers on lots of things whilst managing miss
that a socket had been removed, the wires twisted together and the whole
thing covered by a supermarket carrier bag.elephant