Re: [LUG] Devon pretends to listen

On 27/09/10 19:32, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, tom wrote:
>
>> http://toughchoices.co.uk/
>>
>> If enough of us comment on FLOSS for savings....
>> One or two at each meeting would be interesting...
>
> FWIW: My wife (in her capacity as a participation/youth democracy
> worker) is going to try to get some young people (mostly the current
> members of the Devon Youth Parliament) to attend every one of these
> meetings to give the young people a chance to voice their concerns.
>
> I think some of us ought to attend them too and be positive about it all.
>
> I also don't think they'd be spending the money doing this if they
> weren't going to listen.

Sorry Gordon... I strongly disagree with your interpretation of the
above. The exercise is so that they can tick the "have I consulted the
public?" box. The decision has already been made, the mechanics are
ready to rumble and the axe ground to a slither. At least that's the way
it works in Torbay.

> Whether they act on what we say is another matter, but at least we can
> have our say - and, more importantly have it recorded what we say in a
> public forum.

Reminds me of a Yes Minister sketch when Hacker asks Sir Humphry to
release a whole set of embarrassing documents. When Sir Humphry brings
him the massive lever arch file there is only one piece of paper in
their and a massive wadge of legal stuff explaining all the reasons why
other papers had been "redacted" (although I don't think they used that
word in those days).

Now the will just say the Hard Disk got corrupted and the backup would
not restore ....

The cynic in me would say take your OWN video / audio recording device....

In Torbay we have regular "Road Shows" ... which the public are sick of
because they don't motion any change in council behavior or bring jobs,
security or prosperity in any shape or form.