Re: [LUG] Linux in Education Top Ten Myths.....

 On 22/09/2010 07:49, Mark Evans wrote:
On 21/09/10 21:09, Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 08:24:52PM +0100, tom brough wrote:
Ok we have all heard the excuses why Linux can't be or shouldn't be used
in education. I'm looking to collect together the top 10 with a
plausible and polite debunk.

Contributions welcome here.

Not sure if any of the following are true but:

1.  Its too difficult to use: Windows is easier
Easier how?
Familiarity. Don't underestimate the power of 'I use this at home so I know how it works'.
Do you mean Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows
ME/98/95, (even Windows 3)?
Ignoring 2K, ME, 95 and Vista due to poor take up in offices, again whatever the user has at home - probably 98 as Windows 7 is a tad new for offices to have adopted large-scale yet.
Most printers will work fine.
That's a bold comment and assumes the buyer has checked to see if theirs works on Linux prior to purchase.
4.  We share our files / macros with other users running windows
Openoffice.org will often open MS Office files the latter turns its nose
up at.
You didn't mention the macros. Many databases and spreadsheets use VBA macros if not simple formulae macros. Duplicating them in OoO might nto be possible.
10. We use xyz program that only runs in windows
It may well run at least as well with WINE. Indeed given the "quality"
of much educational software it may do better than nativly under Windows.
Bespoke software that uses Internet Explorer DLLs? Granted it might be persuaded to work in WINE but what about downtime, and the time and effort involved? Would support contracts for the software cover problems encountered running it in a virtual environment?

Julian