Re: [LUG] Linux in Education Top Ten Myths.....

On 21/09/10 21:09, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 08:24:52PM +0100, tom brough wrote:
>>
>> Ok we have all heard the excuses why Linux can't be or shouldn't be used
>> in education. I'm looking to collect together the top 10 with a
>> plausible and polite debunk.
>>
>> Contributions welcome here.
>>

> Not sure if any of the following are true but:
>
> 1.  Its too difficult to use: Windows is easier

Easier how? Even when supposedly set to the right locale Windows systems
not infrequently expects people to know how Noah Webster though words
should be spelt.

> 2.  Everyone uses Windows: why make people learn two systems

Do you mean Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows
ME/98/95, (even Windows 3)?

> 3.  Our printers / whiteboards use Windows

Most printers will work fine. The likes of "cheap" inkjets don't really
belong in schools since they are expensive anyway.

> 4.  We share our files / macros with other users running windows

Openoffice.org will often open MS Office files the latter turns its nose
up at.

> 5.  Ofsted / our auditors use windows
> 6.  We have bought our software: why do we need to change?

Whoever sold it to you might think you rented it :)

> 7.  We're too busy
> 8.  We don't have anyone who can manage it and our outsourcers only handle
>     windows.

How well do they manage Windows?

> 9.  Whats wrong with Windows?
> 10. We use xyz program that only runs in windows

It may well run at least as well with WINE. Indeed given the "quality"
of much educational software it may do better than nativly under Windows.

> 11. Total cost of ownership is cheaper, but no we won't tell our reasons.

A common flaw with TCO studies is omission of significent costs.