Re: [LUG] Linux installations from MS that "stuck"

On 15/09/10 10:50, Paul Sutton wrote:

Well hopefully now that we have some venues sorted out where we as a
group can start to push this issue further,  find out what the barriers
are and then advise accordingly

there has to be a website somewhere that helps with campaigning for
ports of applications,  in which case we should point people in that
direction adn get them to add their names to these lists,  it may seem
pointless to some, but if everyone did this,  for the apps they want,
then people like apple may sit up and listen,

Not sure, for some apps there's Wine or CrossOver from Codeweavers (not ideal but sometimes maybe a more elegant solution than running Windows in a VM or dual booting).

however answering questions on itunes does give you a context to bring
up about drm and what this is, and what it means to people,  as I expect
many are unaware what drm means for freedom.

Maybe, I ain't fussed about DRM in iTunes, I don't touch iTunes so it doesn't affect me. What does get my goat is DRM on DVDs (the annoying anti-piracy videos which you have to watch and can't skip*) or DRM on BluRays (which to be honest as a consumer isn't half as bad as DVD).

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

the biggest problem is trying to remember the names of applications that
are alternatives so we have

Yep, I can remember the names of the applications I use.

itunes - banshee
outlook calender - thunderbird lightning extension (people will want
help to get this installed)

I'd say Evolution might be a better fit since it looks and works pretty much like Outlook does.

Rob