Re: [LUG] New Setup Ideas

On 28/08/10 19:46, Gibbs wrote:
This is a bit of an investment hence the budget. I'm not very
knowledgeable when it comes to hardware but here's the
specs/requirements (roughly) I've written in 1 minute:

- CPU: something decent (AMD Phenom II x6 1055T?)
- Water cooling? Some sort of awesome cooling system
- Motherboard: something compatible that has 4x memory slots (for future
upgrades of RAM)
- Memory: 2x 4gb (DDR3?)
- Graphics: 2gb ATI Radeon 5970 - with cooling?
- OS: Windows ME
- HDD: None
- PSU: 800W?
- USB: x6
- Sound: Cheap onboard something

No OS, monitor, keyboard, network card, floppy disk, software, webcam,
printer etc etc. Also something that's moderately quiet.

Thoughts?

OS: Windows ME?

LMAO!

Otherwise, nice spec, I'd suggest looking at Toms Hardware Guide, they have some reasonably good guides on hardware which might help you specify components such as the water cooling kit, motherboard and memory. I'd also say if you're spending that much, maybe you might want to consider an SSD or two, one maybe as a boot drive for a speedy OS coupled with a large hard drive, or maybe two SSD's for more storage.

You'll find the motherboard will have a network card onboard (usually 1Gbit) and plenty of USB ports (possibly 8 ish on the rear cluster of ports and maybe headers for another load to plug into the front of the case).

Also, do you really need a floppy drive? I'd suggest maybe a memory card reader instead.

Rob