Re: [LUG] New Setup Ideas

On 28/08/10 20:20, Rob Beard wrote:
On 28/08/10 19:46, Gibbs wrote:
- CPU: something decent (AMD Phenom II x6 1055T?)
- Water cooling? Some sort of awesome cooling system
- Motherboard: something compatible that has 4x memory slots (for future
upgrades of RAM)
- Memory: 2x 4gb (DDR3?)
- Graphics: 2gb ATI Radeon 5970 - with cooling?
- OS: Windows ME
- HDD: None
- PSU: 800W?
- USB: x6
- Sound: Cheap onboard something

No OS, monitor, keyboard, network card, floppy disk, software, webcam,
printer etc etc. Also something that's moderately quiet.

Thoughts?

OS: Windows ME?

LMAO!

You'll find the motherboard will have a network card onboard (usually 1Gbit) and plenty of USB ports (possibly 8 ish on the rear cluster of ports and maybe headers for another load to plug into the front of the case).

Also, do you really need a floppy drive? I'd suggest maybe a memory card reader instead.

Rob

Thanks for the feedback Rob and Neil (x2).

I want high spec so it lasts a long time. 1.5k is quite a bit of money for me but as a web developer I really need something reliable that will keep me going some years (and can be upgraded).

I don't need or want a floppy drive. Everything listed at the bottom (OS, monitor etc) are things I don't need so basically a pretty bare tower with new essential components is what I'm after.

With regards to the graphics card... I'm pretty stuck on that due to the proprietary drivers that surround ATI/nVidia. I won't lie I do run some Windows games through Wine (blame my dad heh) as well as native games. I'm leaning towards ATI solely down to the possibility of open source drivers.

Also thanks for the link looks really good and will be useful.

Gibbs