Re: [LUG] Possible solution for faster broadband to rural areas

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 15:00 +0100, James Fidell wrote:

Agreed with so many points.

> As to whether people in such situations should pay more to get high
> speed internet access, I'm not really sure.  If it's regarded as
> sufficiently important that the govt mandates that everyone who wants
> it should be able to get it, I think perhaps not.  I'd argue that where
> provision of a service is deemed to be to everyone's benefit or is
> considered essential then the cost should be the same for everyone.
> Sometimes that means some people subsidise the cost of some services
> for other people, but it's far from a one-way street.  That's the way
> civilised societies ought to work as far as I'm concerned.  I realise
> that others may not share this view, but by definition they're clearly
> inadequately civilised :)

I'm with you on this, but didn't labour try and suggest that every one
in the country pay just 50p per month on there fixed line rental to help
roll out better internet around the country.

There was a right stink from people who felt that rich folks living in
the countryside jaunting around in there 4x4's could jolly well pay for
it themselves. Regardless that those same folks pay for services like
sewage, street lighting and several other things they get little benefit
of.

I think it was the coalition that finally buried the idea wasn't it,
personally I thought it was rather good, I can't imagine there are many
folks that really can't manage Â6 a year, but it was trounced good and
proper.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides