Re: [LUG] Possible solution for faster broadband to rural areas

On 29/07/10 14:15, Simon Waters wrote:
On 29/07/10 08:37, Henry Bremridge wrote:

Is it possible to pass fibre down the water pipe?

Possible yes. Is it a good idea? I'm doubtful. Delivering clean,
drinkable water consistently is expensive enough in the South West. And
would you want your water interrupted because of a cable fault?

But I'm not sure it resolves the economic problem.

It isn't that expensive to dig trenches and lay fibre, I suspect new
cables might be cheaper than messing around with water or gas pipes
because of the other risks with those services, it simply that not
enough people are prepared to pay those costs in rural areas for broadband.

The electricity grid is slightly easier, as they have overground poles
or underground ditches, and there is little health risk to anyone but
the cablers from laying optical fibre along side electricity cables.
Also power for any equipment is presumably going to be easier to arrange.

One of the options one provider has been looking at in Bournemouth is running fibre through the sewers, although I believe they haven't actually got any connection to the internet yet.

I suppose though that still might not be a solution to houses.

Rob