Re: [LUG] Possible solution for faster broadband to rural areas

On 28/07/10 21:25, Rob Beard wrote:
Maybe, I guess 2 to 3 miles you're still going to get slower speeds.

The other option Virgin were looking at was putting their own poles up, I presume putting a pole in, or re-using an existing telegraph pole is going to be cheaper than digging to lay cables.
BT - who generally own the poles - would want some rent for that and they'd have to make a profit for their shareholders... Putting up your own poles is not cheap and then you generally have to pay rent to the landowners whose land you cross. When I worked for BT in the 1980's is was said that each phone connection to a house cost in the region of £2000 (2k).
Tom te tom te tom