Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 18:15 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> OK. The trouble is that you're with a crap provider. (or you were) Demon
> is just a name - it's a trading name for Cable & Wireless who bought Thus
> who bought Demon some years ago. Do some googling, you'll find that their
> service isn't what it once was.

I am fully aware of Demon's history, however for 7years they provided
superb service *in my experience*. No outages, no disruptions and
certainly no issues with capacity or bandwidth consumption. Thats 7years
of superb service that has indeed just ended *for me*. Many others will
no doubt stay and be happy, some folks have a crap service and is more
likely due to some random variable than the ISP itself (happens to every
ISP under the sun)

The worst thing I can say in the last 7years was customer service moving
to India, however for business users it stayed in the UK during normal
business hours.

> > With broadband it is not a choice of three though as you describe, it is
> > in fact:
> > cheap, fast, reliable, size/capacity/quota (however you want to describe
> > it)
>

> Only you've been conned by the name again. Eclipse is wholly owned by
> Kingston Communications, Hull. They were bought out a couple of years ago.
> They may still have an office in Exeter, but they're just a name for
> KCOM.

How on earth have I been conned?

Seriously that is just a random dig. I was looking for an ISP with no
quota on their connection and I have one. Supposedly a pretty good one,
and after speaking with an existing user I am satisfied they should
provide decent service. All support is UK based, after speaking to them
3 times today I have been more than pleased with the standard of
service.

Please, explain to me how I was "conned" ?

> >It will be 6 days or so until switch over and despite
> > the extra cost they seem very good after chatting for quite a while on
> > the phone, the level of bandwidth I use was discussed and the guy was I
> > think surprised that I was worried about it for a mere 100-150GB.
> > Certainly I spoke to another customer off list and he is using
> > considerably more and had no issues at all.
>
> Good luck.

That is just being petty.

> I did give you some suggestions, but if you don't care enough to do just a
> tiny little bit of research for yourself, then what do I care.

Yes, I spent the last 2 days doing no research, not speaking to customer
supports and not reading terms & conditions and FUP's.

> Good luck with Kingston.

Yeah thanks.

> Gordon

I have no idea what got the bee in your bonnet, if I did or said
something to upset you then that wasn't the intention.

We appear to have different requirements from ISP's and I haven't tried
to rip into you about your choice. You clearly have great service from
who ever you are with and downloading large files is not a priority for
you, well done you. My needs are different and I am (still) paying over
the odds for that, what the hell is the problem if an ISP offers that
service and I am paying nearly Â60 for it, do you need to get uppity ?

I don't intend reply further before this degenerates any more.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides