Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 28 July 2010 08:45, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, I understand about the ageing copper
> network. This should have been improved years ago. And how long have we had
> a private company running the show???

I don't know if it is true, but I read somewhere that BT did actually
want to start doing fibre back in the 80s. Thatcher and co. said no,
because they'd just handed out (or were about to hand out) the cable
franchises and that BT were banned from doing TV anyway (this was only
lifted a few years ago in time for their BT Vision service).

If only they were allowed. Perhaps we'd be somewhat of a leader in
high speed broadband.

Shaun