Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:07:51 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

> On 27/07/10 14:09, Julian Hall wrote:
> > On 27/07/2010 13:14, James Andrews wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> So the Internet has no "speed" that anyone can measure in bps
> >
> > No, but the point is - whatever your method of measuring speed -
> > that if your initial connection is slow you cannot tx/rx data fast
> > regardless of any external conditions. A mythical condition could
> > exist where every external connection is 1000Gb[1], but it your
> > connection is 1Gb (1000 times slower) that's all you're going to
> > get, and that is where the UK system is failing consumers. More
> > like BroadBLAND Britain than Broadband.
> >
> > Julian
> >
> > [1] Or however you choose to measure it
> >

> Or on the other hand, your connection could be reasonably quick and
> the other end could be slow, or have a bottleneck.
>
> For instance I'm on Virgin 20Mbit broadband, I regularly get the full
> 20Mbit/sec from some hosts, but other hosts I can be limited to
> something like 300Kbit/sec.  I only tend to find this with smaller
> sites, possibly hosted on the other side of the globe.  The big sites
> such as Microsoft (yes I know!) I get the full 20Mbit.
>
> So it's not all down to the connection at the premises, it's also the
> connections to servers wherever they may be.
>
> Rob

I think the point, though, is that it doesn't matter what the
connection speed of the other side is - if your connection is pitifully
inadequate you'll never have a chance of attaining even their speeds.

If I took the attitude of "it doesn't matter what connection speed I
have as the other end, or any intermediate point, might not be up to
the job" then I'd still have 56k dialup.

Grant.