Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 27/07/10 11:44, Steven CÃtà wrote:
    I cant find a single provider that will allow me a monthly contract
    without a setup fee of 3 or 4 * monthly charge.

    I can find ones without the setup charge but then I'm paying for >8M
    when I can only get 512k so its not worth it. I would imagine half
    of rural Devon/Cornwall is in a similar position.

The only way you'll get a monthly contract and no set-up fee is by going
with someone that has their own kit in the cabinet. BT Wholesale charges
ISP's a connection fee for every subscriber. I'm not sure how much it is
now, but a few years ago it was about Â50. So if the ISP doesn't have
you locked into a contract, they'll pass that fee on to you rather than
try and recoup it over the course of a year.

But if you already have broadband then you can generally migrate for free.

Rob