Re: [LUG] 4TB of Disks ...

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:51:03 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

Just had 2 x 2TB drives delivered plus 2 SATA 2 cables.

I can't remember where, but I read recently that a lot of the 2TB SATA
drives perform significantly slower than their 1TB counterparts and the
recommendation was that if speed was the a crucial factor, to go for
1TB drives and just have more of 'em.

I'm still busy trying to fill up my 1TB drive on the media centre!

Speed's not a factor here - yet. However these are WDC's "EARS" drives - the ones with the 4KB sector size, so I'm doing some finger counting to work out how to partition it optimially. Trying to rember host to use fdisk again as cdfisk that I usually use can't cope!

The other issue is that these are to upgrade an existing server - no real issues there, but I don't have a spare box here with SATA ports on - so I have an old PCI dual-port SATA card, but it hangs at boot time with the drives plugged in - unplug the drives, boot to the Lilo prompt, plug the drives in and let Linux boox and it's fine...

Well - it'll be fine enough to partition & copy a basic Debian onto it from the host PC.

Gordon