Re: [LUG] OT but one reson to convert to linux

 On 14/07/10 16:33, kevin wrote:
On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 16:12 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
On 14/07/10 15:06, kevin wrote:
Has any one had dealings with Team View 5?

<Snip>   from a Windows user

   Do you know anything about an outfit called TEAM VIEW? Every time my
machine crashes I am invited to tick a few boxes on a pop-up. Sometimes
I tick the boxes, sometimes I don't. I thought that responses went to
MicroSoft who sat on them.  We receive telephone calls quite often, I am
sure that they are from India, offering to put things right. i now think
that these calls come a day or two after I have click the report button.
This afternoon I asked them a few questions. They are called Team View 5
and they seemed to be leading me towards getting software from them.When
I was asked to click on RUN on a download box I felt it unsafe to
proceed further and backed out. Are they genuine or are they selling
anti virus software? How do they get these reports?<snip/>

The machine crashes often and they have just extorted Â50 from this user
and was remotely vnc'd and was asked for the Admin password
The user got scared and refused.

The obviously have installed a vnc client on the machine, and are
looking for Â50 to remove some ".inf" files

My advice was load Linux and tell them to pi$$ off

any comments also appreciated.

Sounds like they have been subject to some sort of scam.  I've heard of
things like "XP Anti-Virus" which was a popup which came up on a site
saying that the user had a virus and was advised to install "XP
Anti-Virus", and then the user is conned out of money to remove it.

Doing a Google search for TeamViewer seems to suggest that it's a
product along the lines of LogMeIn (a remote support application).  I'm
not sure if they are a legit company or what (looking at their site it
seems they're based in Germany).  It's possible that some scammers are
using this software for remote support, or maybe he signed up for
something without realising.

Not sure if he can claim his Â50 back from the bank.

I do wonder if installing Linux would be the solution?

Seems to me like a bit of user training is required explaining to them
to not install anything and everything they see (I've often come across
these MyWebSearch toolbars and the like which folks have installed
willy-nilly).

Sure installing Linux might help a bit, but they could still be tricked
into installing Firefox addons or even dubious Linux packages.

I feel the trouble in the first place was the scammers managed to cause
the machine to blue screen and produce a popup fault report and clicking
on it caused a download etc.

If that happened in Linux I would be worried too.

Rob

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)