Re: [LUG] Devon is offline...

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Mark Evans wrote:

On 19/07/10 14:53, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Oh, and everyone has been told not to use the phone either! Not that
they can call anyone as the phone-list is kept online...

Maybe you should offer them a decent phone system.
Something like the SVP305 phone looks quite clever, especially when
combined with POE switches and UPS's in remote cabinets.

Hm. Weird phone. No UK supplier that I can easilly find in google.

However, as I understand it, DCC has a huge analogue system - at least there's a lot of analogue in the system. Wifey has a bog-standard el-cheapo BT branded analogue phone on her desk without a display and last time I was there, there seemed to be a lot of them about...

Upgrading from that to a digital system is costly - as the per phone costs go from £9.99 to £59.99 or more )-: (e.g. the best part of £180 for a nice Snom 370 phone)

Cost of the phones is actually the single biggest 'hit' in an open digital system now, especially in bigger ones. Of-course the proprietary/legacy systems still cost £stupid for the actual PBX hardware.

However the feature licensing costs go from £stupid to zero.

Want to save $1 million a year on your phone system? Vancouver did by moving to Asterisk.

And actually, Asterisk works very well with analogue phones, and big channel banks (to drive analogue phones) are not that expensive, relatively speaking. Some connect in via USB too, making them very convenient. Try telling the legacy venduhs that and they don't believe you though.

Gordon