Re: [LUG] Summary Todays Holsworthy Meeting - June 17th

On 18/07/10 02:07, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 17/07/10 23:29, John Williams wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 23:11 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
>>> There are plenty of native BASIC interpreters for educational purposes
>>> for GNU/Linux, no need to touch WINE.
>>>
>>> Why you would teach a child BASIC is another question.
>>
>> I had considered it as one of the simplest ways to get a basic
>> understanding of programming, line numbering to show order, input data,
>> print data, use of variables. BASIC just seems to me one of the clearest
>> languages to get your head around the ideas.
>>

> I agree.  I found that learning Basic really helped with algebra at
> school (in fact I really enjoyed algebra, it reminded me of Basic
> programming in a way).

I guess its a little but like converting numbers in to money if I asked
you what 10 - 4 is, then its not that interesting,  converting to
currency (or something else that you can relate to) gives the question
some degree of context people can relate to,

so in this case you use algebra in programming so learning this gives it
a context you understand and can relate to,  it will help you, in
something you enjoy and therefore gives you an incentive to learn that
part of the maths course.

if you want to learn python then I have the following

byte_of_python_v192.pdf

which can be downloaded from

http://www.swaroopch.com/files/byteofpython/byte_of_python_v192.pdf

in fact in searching for the above the following site i came across
seems to have loads of pdf book downloads

http://books168.com/c-pdf-5.html

hope this helps