Re: [LUG] Summary Todays Holsworthy Meeting - June 17th

On 18/07/10 02:02, Rob Beard wrote:

> Dunno, when I've tried to learn C, C++ and Pascal in the past I've
> always got frustrated, maybe it's because I was impatient.

I meant languages which are very different in concept.

I found switching from procedural languages to SAS (which is similar to
SQL in mentality) hard, in the my thought processes were wrong. Where as
C to Pascal I think the shift is more syntax than substance, which can
confuse the muscle memory but similar types of "tasks" are easy or hard.
Where as with SQL/SAS languages tasks like duplicate detection become
harder, whilst many tasks involving sorting and grouping are completely
trivial.

I was trying to learn Haskell a while back, but again the switch is
hard, and I got disappointed with Fibonacci series programs which were
only marginally faster to run than doing it on a calculator. On the
other hand I suspect functional languages will be a growing thing, as we
ship more of the "how to" into the tools (which will inevitably do it
better than we would).