Re: [LUG] Thunderbird for spam control

 On 02/07/2010 09:33, Gibbs wrote:
On 02/07/2010 08:51, Rob Beard wrote:
On 02/07/10 08:16, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:

I prefer individual in-boxes myself, but that's what I got used to with Thunderbird 2.x. I guess that might not be an issue with only one mail
account though.

Thunderbird 3.x is also now smart enough to detect mail server settings for a lot of ISPs etc. It's not fool proof, but it covers a lot of ISPs.

Rob

Thanks, now I have to remember how to install on Windows. I suppose that
  the Windows version of TB will be an exe file? So I just run that to
install it?  It is so long since I did anything like that on windows!!

Neil

Yeah should be easy enough. Goto www.getthunderbird.com (on your wife's PC) and it should suggest you download Thunderbird 3.1 (not sure if it'll suggest British English, it might detect your location and offer it). Then download the EXE file, double click on it and follow the wizard choosing the default settings.

When you first run Thunderbird it should give you the option to import mail from other applications. Since you're using IMAP you might get away without backing up the Outlook Express files, although it could also be a good idea to do that just in case.

Rob

Yeah IMAP will make things a breeze. Also TB3 has a nice feature when creating a new account where it checks common ports and settings and tries to figure out your incoming/outgoing mail settings (similar to Evolution but more visual).

You can't go wrong with TB3 for OE users, it's a lot better and the people I've got using it agree and have had a pretty hassle free time.

Gibbs
Just upgraded to 3.1 and Lightning (the Calendar add-on) updated to 1.0b2

Julian