[LUG] Compiling a Kernel for troublesome hardware

Someone on the list mentioned they compiled their own Kernels,
possibly Gordon. I tried this once when I was just starting out with
Linux (I was trying to install Gentoo) and decided I needed more
guidance if I didnt want to go the Microsoft route and produce the
most bloated thing I could.

This laptop is looking like it's going to need a custom Kernel if I
want to keep it up to date, so I'm wondering if anyone has a guide to
the modules so I can read through and decide which bits I do and dont
need?