Re: [LUG] Web hosts and DNS

As you can see I am back ....

Nominet were a delight to deal with

Just prove who you are, pays your money (Â11.75) and get to manage your
own DNS

Streamline have a gui to set you nameservers took about 10 mins to
update.  WHIS says I am who I am so all is OK.

Simply are accusing me of Fraud?

but Trading Standards and The Credit Card Co are looking in to it.

Meanwhile I am Â23.5 a year better off.

two days of Heartache for some miserable sod not wanting to release a
DNS tag.

Thanks for all your concerns ( and Gordon for the phone call )

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 13:56 +0100, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:45:46PM +0100, kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >   BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;
> > }First can I ask does any one work for Simple web hosts on the list?
> >  If so
> >  Sorry for the next rant.....
> >  Three years ago I changed ( or so I thought) web hosts
> >  I had a big problem asking my old host the alter the DNS to my new
> > host and I thought they had done it and I had begun my new hosting
> > contract with Streamline.net.
> >  Anyho..
> >  I check my CreditCard yesterday and a entry from the old host
> > Simlple was there!
> >  So I mailed them and asked why
> >  They replied the account was live still and I and still paying.
> >  I said It wasn't and I wont
> >  (stalemate).  But I didn't know they held the ace.
> >  So now my Domain www.minionsbandb.co.uk is off the air!!
> >  Have I made a mistake in assuming they are in charge still of My DNS
> > entry?  Is this what I have been paying for the past three years
> > (Â23.50/year).
> >  Or should they have done the Correct thing and when I left them
> > pointed DNS to my new hosts Streamline.net.
> >  Comment very much appreciated
> >  Kevin (from webmail)
> >  Just a thought can any of you actually reply to this!!!!
> >  .
>
> I will let the knowledgeable reply about DNS but:
>
> 1)  What did your contract say? Did you tell them that you wanted to cancel
>     the service (from the wording of your question, I guess not).
>
> 2)  If you did tell them that you wanted to cancel their service (and
>     hopefully you have some evidence of this) then tell them. If they
>     reject this then go to your bank and ask them to help
>
>     (FWIW if you spend more than Â100 then banks are equally liable, if
>     less, it is worth a try)
>
> 3)  If you did cancel the service that what is you new company (streamline)
>     charging you for. If they charged for DNS then perhaps you could ask
>     them why they did not transfer that.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)